To the human who's loved before,
This upcoming valentine's holiday can stir up a few emotions within us, whether you're in a partnership, increasingly aware of how single you are, or in some kind of situationship. No matter your status, the most important relationship you will ever have is with yourself and I hope you can learn what that it feels to be in love with all the parts of what make you, you.
Based on some of the ideas you've sent me through instagram, my own favorites, and the work from Gary Chapman's book "The 5 Love Languages", I've created a list to help you get started on showing love to yourself any day.
If you're not familiar with the 5 Love Languages, it is the concept that people give and receive love in different ways. For yourself, you need to show yourself love in the best way you receive it, either through words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, receiving gifts, or physical touch. You will likely resonate with more than one, but there may be one that stands out the most.
Find out your love language(s) and take the quiz here before getting started.
Words of Affirmation
If you love to hear love and want to learn to speak the language fluently to yourself.
Spend some time with you and give yourself your undivided attention. No distractions, just you.
- Take yourself out on a date.
- Go for a walk.
- Have a picnic in the park.
- Get a good night’s rest.
- Take your time back by not over-committing or over-booking yourself (This reminder on boundaries might help).
Acts of Service
Show yourself love through actions that speak louder than words.
- Cook yourself a delicious, maybe even healthy meal.
- Or maybe just order a healthy portion of your favorite dish.
- Plan a trip for yourself.
- Outsource a task you don't like doing (ahem, taxes).
- Take the time to organize your space.
Give yourself a heartfelt gift that says, "damn, you really SHOULD have."
- Put a care package together for yourself (try this self-love candle)
- Buy yourself some flowers.
- Treat yourself to something on your bucket list (see this list of 30 ideas you can do anytime).
- Buy that thing you've had in your cart online, and don't forget to mark it as a gift for an important person in your life
- Order some delivery to be sent to your door. A pizza your heart, maybe?
As long as you give yourself consent first, go ahead and get physical with yourself, and also try some of these below ;)
- Enjoy a hot bath or shower.
- Take the time to appreciate your skincare routine.
- Place your hand over your heart and feel it beat.
- Walk barefoot through the grass.
- Get cozy wearing your favorite fabrics.
This list can get you started on some ways you can begin to give yourself the love you need. It doesn't have to be expensive, but it does takes practice in showing up for yourself time and time again, and learning to accept all the beautiful parts that make you, you.
I hope you can show yourself love in the best way you can.